Assessment Only Qualifications
TASC has powers under section 33 of the Tasmanian Assessment, Standards and Certification Act 2003 to make arrangements for the assessment and issuance of qualifications to persons completing senior secondary education otherwise than by completing an accredited senior secondary course.
Under these powers
- students seeking an award in any of the qualifications listed below will take the relevant test or examination.
- the Office will make administrative arrangements for the conduct of the assessments and meet any costs associated with marking the assessments. Examinations are held in October or November of each year.
- the awards will be
- Exceptional Achievement (EA)
- High Achievement (HA)
- Commendable Achievement (CA)
- Satisfactory Achievement (SA)
- Preliminary Achievement (PA)
- the awards will be determined on the basis of the external mark and the distribution of all marks in the examination, as provided by the examining agency, as follows
- EA - a mark in the top 10% of students in this subject
- HA - a mark in range 11% - 30% of students in this subject
- CA - a mark in range 31% - 50% of students in this subject
- SA - a mark in range 51% - 80% of students in this subject
- PA - did not meet the requirements for an SA however achieved an exam mark of at least 35% or did not take the external examination but the provider states that the candidate has completed a relevant course of study otherwise - a candidate will fail to receive an award in the qualification.
- A PA award or better in all the qualifications listed below contribute 15 credit points towards the TCE.
- All the courses listed below are at Level 3 and, if an award of SA or better is achieved, contribute towards the Tasmanian Tertiary Entrance Score and the Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR).
Assessment tasks will usually be sourced from another Australian assessment agency and will be administerd according to specifications from that agency.
These 'assessment only' arrangements do not include any collection and validation of teacher assessments of course work. Candidates who are not present for any part of the assessment will not receive an award above PA. Candidates are advised to ensure they choose their suite of courses so that they do not require an SA award in the qualification in order to be eligible for the calculation of an ATAR.
Candidates MUST lodge their application for assessment, using the relevant form, by 1 JULY in the year they wish to undertake their examination. Late applications WILL NOT be accepted.
|Application for Assessment only Qualifications Form 2017||Application for Assessment Only Qualifications|
(Updated Feb 15, 2017)
To enable organisation of the examinations for the above qualifications, the Office will be UNABLE to accept any new enrolments in the qualifications after this date.
On receipt of an application for assessment candidates will be provided with infomation, either paper-based or web-based, about the assessment standards and arrangements for the qualification.
2017 Qualifications are available in:
- Chinese (BS)*
- Greek (Modern)
- Hebrew (Modern)
- Indonesian (BS)
- Indonesian (continuers)
- Indonesian (beginners)
- Korean (BS)
- Persian (BS)
* At this stage subjects listed are based on what was offered in 2016. A finalised list will be available at the end of March.
* Where a candidate is granted exemption from the scheduled examination in this qualification TASC will, on the written request of the candidate, make arrangements for a supplementary assessment as soon as practicable. All costs must be met by the candidate or their education provider.