Subject: 2017 Setting Examiners - Expressions of Interest
Date: February 10, 2017
Attention: TASC Liaison Officer and all Level 3/4 Teachers of:
PSC315114 Physical Sciences
TASC is seeking expressions of interest for the role of SETTING EXAMINER from suitably qualified persons, teachers and/or academics for 2017 in the above listed subjects.
The selection of the role by TASC reflects the following factors:
- the provision of opportunities to new examiners
- requirements for examiners to work in teams
- the extent to which applicants meet the selection criteria (as outlined below).
Note this position is appointed on an annual basis.
Interested parties should advise Angela Davies (via email: firstname.lastname@example.org) at TASC by 22 February 2017, providing the following details:
Telephone Numbers (home and work)
Qualifications and Experience (that address the selection criteria as outlined below)
Applicants are selected in terms of the following criteria:
- superior knowledge of the relevant course
- understanding of criterion based assessment
- minimum 5 years teaching experience in the subject area
- high level written and oral communication skills
- capacity to meet specified deadlines
- capacity to adhere to procedures and policies as determined by TASC
- commitment to meet confidentiality and security requirements
- receptiveness to receiving feedback, and ability to apply any feedback
The applicant's performance in previous external assessment operations (if applicable) is taken into consideration in deciding if an applicant meets the selection criteria.
DUTIES OF SETTING EXAMINER
The duties of the Setting Examiner are to:
* prepare the examination paper (and a set of solutions or marking tool) in accordance with the current course, the guidelines for external assessment and any other guidelines provided by TASC
* meet with the critics to discuss the first draft of the paper
* determine what changes will be made to the paper in light of the comments received from the critics (from both the meeting and also from the second drafts)
* proof read the final draft of the paper
* check a copy of the final copy of the examination paper after printing
* advise of any specific stationery requirements or other materials that will need to be provided to students for the examination (eg. graph paper, maps)
* Provide a final set of solutions and/or marking guide taken from the drafts by the critics of the examination paper.
As per TASC policy, only people not currently teaching the course in the same year can fill these roles. (ie a person with suitable experience in the subject, but not teaching the subject in 2017).
Note: The title of Setting Examiner is only relevant to the role in the external marking process. It is not appropriate for the successful applicant to use their Setting Examiner hat to endorse a particular position not included as part of the agreed role by TASC (i.e. course development).
Linked document: Setting Examiner SOD
Administration Officer - Assessment