Subject: 2017 Examination Paper Critics - Expressions of Interest
Date: February 8, 2017
Attention: TASC Liaison Officer and all Level 3/4 Teachers of:
ANH315117 Ancient History
ART315117 Art Production
HLT315113 Health Studies
HSM315117 Modern History
LST315117 Legal Studies
MTG315115 General Mathematics
MTM415117 Mathematics Methods
MTM315117 Mathematics Methods Foundation
MED315117 Media Production
OXP315113 Outdoor Leadership
TASC is seeking expressions of interest for the role of EXAMINATION PAPER CRITICS from suitably qualified persons, teachers and/or academics for 2017 in the above listed subjects.
The selection of the role by TASC reflects the following factors:
- the provision of opportunities to new examiners
- requirements for examiners to work in teams
- the extent to which applicants meet the selection criteria (as outlined below).
Note this position is appointed on an annual basis.
Interested parties should advise Angela Davies (via email: firstname.lastname@example.org) at TASC by 22 February 2017, providing the following details:
Telephone Numbers (home and work)
Qualifications and Experience (that address the selection criteria as outlined below)
Applicants are selected in terms of the following criteria:
- superior knowledge of the relevant course
- understanding of criterion based assessment
- minimum 5 years teaching experience in the subject area
- high level written and oral communication skills
- capacity to meet specified deadlines
- capacity to adhere to procedures and policies as determined by TASC
- commitment to meet confidentiality and security requirements
- receptiveness to receiving feedback, and ability to apply any feedback
The applicant's performance in previous external assessment operations (if applicable) is taken into consideration in deciding if an applicant meets the selection criteria.
DUTIES OF EXAMINATION PAPER CRITICS
The duties of the Examination Paper Critics are to:
* review the first draft of the paper and provide a report (a pro-forma will be provided)
* provide solutions to questions on the exam paper
* meet with the Setting Examiner(s) to discuss the first draft of the paper
* must undertake the draft examination paper and note the time taken to produce acceptable answers
* provide Setting Examiner(s) with suggestions for improvement. Critics need be specific about any concerns they may have. If necessary, critics can suggest alternative questions for consideration by the Setting Examiner(s)
* critics for some subjects MUST provide solutions to the exam paper and Answers must be provided to the first draft. If any changes are made to the paper at a later date, solutions need be revised accordingly
* proofread the 2nd draft of the paper
* Solutions and/or a marking guide MUST be provided for all subjects
As per TASC policy, only people not currently teaching the course in the same year can fill these roles. (ie a person with suitable experience in the subject, but not teaching the subject in 2017).
Note: The title of Examination Paper Critic is only relevant to the role in the external marking process. It is not appropriate for the successful applicant to use their Examination Paper Critic hat to endorse a particular position not included as part of the agreed role by TASC (i.e. course development).
Linked document: Critic - Examination Papers SOD
Administration Officer - Assessment